The Parish Church of St Mary's

Thornbury, South Gloucestershire

 

Home Page


Other Links

Contact

 

The Parish Church of St Mary is located near to Thornbury Castle.  A Norman Church was said to have stood on the site from as early as 1106.  The present chancel was built around 1340.  Click here to go to the Church's own website

Whilst we have not yet attempted to write anything about the history of the Church, we have lists of early parish records, information about the memorial inscriptions, both inside and outside the Church, the Vicarage and the various ministers:

EARLY PARISH RECORDS

Lists of baptisms, marriages and burials from 1550 to 1699 - click here to read more

 

MEMORIAL INSCRIPTIONS

In 2006 we were given various type-written lists of monumental inscriptions taken at St Mary's Church in Thornbury which had been used for many years to help those interested in local history and genealogy to research their roots.  These included:

1: the 'Ralph Bigland' collection of 17th and 18th century inscriptions of monuments within the Church and tombstones in the Churchyard.

2: a list of monumental inscriptions recorded by S.F. & G.R. Pitts of Thornbury and added to by George Mills.  These include 19th and 20th century inscriptions, the names on the two War Memorials within the Church, and the list of Vicars.

3: a book of transcriptions of the memorials in the Church created when major building was undertaken in the 1840's.  Found in Gloucester Record Office.

We were impressed by the hard work of these people and knew that many visitors to Thornbury had made use of the lists.  This is our attempt to make their work more widely available.  We have attempted to rationalise these lists, checking for accuracy where possible.  There are four separate databases:

Memorials within Church  Tombstones in the Churchyard  War Memorials  The Bell Ringers

VICARS and THE VICARAGE

The Old Vicarage List of Vicars Early Vicars  Modern Vicars 

Anyone researching their family history may find it useful to check out our webpages about other Churches and Chapels in Thornbury and the Thornbury Cemetery - click here to read more

This page was last updated: 14/02/2014